Saturday, January 21, 2006

A little experiment with wording

I'm curious to see what the responses to this will be; I'll explain why I'm doing this later.

The survey

Directions: Pick the response that sounds most similar to what you'd say.

Part A. Factual information (Statements that are either true or untrue, like "The current US president is George Bush.")

1. How do you say things you're sure are facts?
a) I think... [fact], but I could be wrong.
b) [fact]
c) I'm positive that... [fact]
e) Other (please explain)

2. How do you say things you're pretty sure - but not absolutely positive - are facts?
a) I think... [fact], but I could be wrong.
b) [fact]
c) I'm positive that... [fact]
d) Other (please explain)

3. How do you say things you believe are are the case, but only have an educated guess as to?
a) I think... [fact], but I could be wrong.
b) [fact]
c) I'm positive that... [fact]
d) Other (please explain)

4. How do you say things you think are the case, but are basing this off a fairly wild guess?
a) I think... [fact], but I could be wrong.
b) [fact]
c) I'm positive that... [fact]
d) Other (please explain)

Part B. Opinions and beliefs (Statements that are not necessarily true or untrue, like "The current US president is smart.")

5. When stating an unshakable opinion or belief of yours, how do you express it?
a) I believe... [opinion], but I could be wrong.
b) [opinion]
c) [opinion], and I stand firm on this.
d) Other (please explain)

6. When stating a strong opinion or belief of yours that could be changed with good counterevidence, how do you express it?
a) I believe... [opinion], but I could be wrong.
b) [opinion]
c) [opinion], and I stand firm on this.
d) Other (please explain)

7. When stating an opinion or belief of yours that could be changed with counterevidence, how do you express it?
a) I believe... [opinion], but I could be wrong.
b) [opinion]
c) [opinion], and I stand firm on this.
d) Other (please explain)

8. When you're not sure what your opinion or belief on a matter is but feel you're expected to have one, how do you express it?
a) I believe... [opinion], but I could be wrong.
b) [opinion]
c) [opinion], and I stand firm on this.
d) Other (please explain)


Part C: Demographics

9. I am...
a) a student
b) working
c) retired
d) other (please explain)

10. I am...
a) male
b) female
c) other

11. My profession/field of study is usually seen as...
a) male
b) female
c) other (please explain)

12. I have been in a significant management or leadership role.
a) yes
b) no

1 comment:

Sarah said...

1)b
2)a
3)a
4)d I would make some sort of stronger disclaimer like "this is completely a guess, but..."

5)b
6)b
7)a
8)d I would say something like "I don't think I know enough about the issue to have an informed opinion"

9)a
10)b
11)a (historically...)
12)b