Saturday, August 19, 2006

Lifehacker: tips for off-screen reading

Woo! The good folks at Lifehacker have posted my query on how to read without killing your back. A lot of great responses there, but my favorite is using a lectern or music stand - I've played various instruments for 15 years, but it never occured to me to put my schoolbooks on the same place as my sheet music. As with all great ideas, once you hear it, you slap yourself on the forehead and wonder why you didn't think of it.

I'm going to try both a music stand for reading and a standing desk when I set up my dorm room this coming year. Not sure how I'll pull off the second one yet.

There's also this gem:

Not the advice you asked for, but--for better grades read unassigned but relevant secondary sources. Your profs will admire you.


Indeed.

No comments: