Disclaimer: As the title suggest, I'm using Dreamhost. YMMV on other web providers.
First, download and unzip Textpattern into the directory of your choice. Note: I'm using version 4.0.4, the latest as of this writing. Change the numbers to reflect the version you want to install.
- Download Textpattern. I typed wget http://textpattern.com/file_download/29/textpattern-4.0.4.zip into my shell prompt.
- Unzip Textpattern. Predictably, this is unzip textpattern-4.04.zip in the shell prompt. (Yes, shell prompts are in bold italic here.)
- Move the files to the directory you want to install them in. The slash-asterisk (/*) means "[move] everything inside this folder." Since I wanted to move them to my current directory (denoted by a period) I typed a period at the end; replace the period with the name of your directory if you want. mv textpattern-4.0.4/* .
- Remove the empty directory and the zip file, just for cleanup. rm -r textpattern-4.0.4*
Create a database.
- In the Dreamhost control panel, go to Goodies > Manage MySql.
- Scroll to the bottom. Follow the instructions for creating a new MySql database. It doesn't really matter what names/hosts/passwords you use, as long as you remember them.
- Go to yourwebsite.com/textpattern and follow the prompts. (yourwebsite.com is the folder that you moved the textpatterns into in the first section of this tutorial). You'll have to...
- Pick a language (I go with English-US, but you don't have to; it's just that I only read English fluently at the moment.)
- Remember the passwords, hosts, usernames, and stuff you created in the second section of this tutorial, and type them into appropriate forms.
- Copy-paste some PHP code the installer provides you with and use it to create config.php in your yourwebsite.com/textpattern folder (I use vim in my shell; you can also ftp in a document you make in Notepad).
- Make an account. It doesn't matter what you use for your password and login, as long as you remember it.
- Go to yoursite.com and log in. Congratulations, you have an install!
- There's a tiny drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. Use it to go to admin > preferences.
- Change the fields as you will.
- View your site.
That's it. Next up: customizing the look and feel of your site.