Sunday, July 22, 2007

The quest for plane tickets + recipe for Tim Neng

I didn't win the round-trip plane tickets which I was going to use to run a Curriculum Jam in Manila (for those following along, Roger did - congrats, Roger!) so it's time to crack out the ol' thinking cap and find myself another way to get there. I reckon $1,200 should do the trick - that's all for transportation, by the way, planes and taxis... need to ask my family if I can unroll my sleeping bag on their couches.

Also need to find a local coordinator, a location, and food donations for the Manila Curriculum Jam. If you're in the area or know anyone who might be interested (or know someone who might be interested), holler! We're looking for teachers, students, and people interested in creating educational materials for the One Laptop Per Child project. If you're interested in finding out what we're about or lending a hand in helping us do it (giving every kid in the world the power to teach themselves anything they want to know), a Jam is a fantastic way to get started.

I've been spending the last 5 days sleeping on various couches in the area (Lauren's, Matt's, my aunt Lynne May's, and the floor in the back corner room of the OLPC office between 5 and 7:30am one morning) and I am so happy to have wireless back again. My apologies to people I was supposed to communicate with this weekend... maybe I should pay for internet on my phone?

Also, thanks to my aunt Joji, a recipe for Tim Neng. It's a sort of Asian quiche - tasty. I'll need to hit Super 88 to get ingredients and make this at some point.

How To Make Tim Neng

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground pork
1/4 lb shrimp, chopped
1 pc dried shitake mushroom. chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
4 pcs eggs, beaten + water mixture (1:1 ratio, but add a bit more water if you want a softer Tim Neng)
spring onions, chopped (for topping)

Instructions:
Saute garlic until fragrant. Add pork, mushroom, shrimp and continue to saute until cooked. (about 10 mins). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put all sauteed ingredients in a big soup bowl or pyrex (or an 8x8 cake pan, or anything else you can heat and cook in). Pour egg/water mixture into the meat mixture; it will soak through and surround them (you don't need to mix). Sprinkle the chopped spring onions on top.

Steam for 45 minutes or until eggs are fully set. The easiest way to do this is to set the bowl of eggs into the middle of a shallow pot of boiling water; make sure the boiling water is shallow enough that it doesn't spill into the eggs - there should only be boiling water between the inside of the pot and the outside of the bowl of eggs. (And remember to cover the container you're steaming in.)

Dig in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I was wondering what "tim neng" is... but when i started reading your recipe, I understood that it is the same dish i have been trying to learn how to make. i love that stuff. let me know you if are successful in your cooking. my brother sent me the recipe too, and i have tried making it a few times...yummy! so easy to make too.

love, AN
ps. I haven't forgotten about the bike...just a bit difficult to drag to my car and to the post office. been a bit busy at work too. was thinking of visiting your parents in mid aug...maybe i'll take it to them...since you seem to not want to visit me here...hmph!! :(

Anonymous said...

I never thought you would post that recipe. I just wrote it from the top of my head and it's sort of "guesstimated" measurement. But with Tim Neng (steamed eggs), you can never go wrong.... unless you forgot to put the salt and pepper. I did it once and the family noticed it. They commented that it taste bland... that was when I remembered I didn't add the salt. Just to wiggle my way out of the boo-boo, I said... "It is salt-free, made specially for hypertensive people like your grandpa and dad. So eat up!". It's my way of saying "Don't mess around with the cook!" hahahaha!